Thursday, November 09, 2006

Stylish shoes or cowbell?

A while ago, at the behest of my husband, I decided to start trying to dress a little nicer for work. I'm not sure why, because my department is really casual, and it's not like I have people to impress. What can I say? My husband has a lot of influence over me.

Part of this effort involved an investment of two new pairs of shoes, one black and one brown, both with heels. I admit they are nice looking, but, compared to my loafers or sneakers, they are really LOUD when I walk. And, as I am the only woman on my floor, everybody knows where I am going any time I am going anywhere. Colleagues shout hello at me before I walk by their door. Students prepare themselves for my arrival before I get to the classroom. And I get teased a lot - at first for just the loud shoes, and now for both the loud shoes AND, on days when I regress and wear loafers, for "trying to sneak up on everybody."

Such is the price of fashion, maybe?

8 comments:

Brandi said...

It's hard work, being so hot. But it's the price we have to pay.

Matthew Jones said...

Are the heels perhaps to offset the stylish freebie baseball caps from two posts ago? :-)

Ms.PhD said...

They probably think you're a salesperson.

Anonymous said...

I do not wear shoes with heels at school exactly so that people don't hear me coming. I want one less thing that distinguishes me from the boys.

Anonymous said...

If you want a bit of a heel, sometimes you can find ones that are made of rubber. Though they are usually designed for trendy 20-somethings, they don't clack. Just found your blog-- I added you to my blogroll. Come visit if you like. Since I'm a new reader, I don't know-- do you work with your husband? Otherwise, it seems you could fulfill the same purpose by wearing your nice shoes while leaving and returning to the house, and not in between. :)

Average Professor said...

Shellie, I like your bent towards deception. Sometimes you've gotta do what you gotta do, right? ;)

madhu said...

Shoes are shoes and we should see there heart and not there shoes what they are wearing. Even I don't have a taste for selecting shoes or my dress, but my students really don't care and they love me a lot for my kind being . Its my wife does every thing for me. She just Timberland shoes for me and waiting for its arrival.

Unknown said...

Try to change to some other heels which are less noisy and which you feel more comfortable.Buy Shoes which make you feel proud but not annoying.